Stoke house gutted by blaze after sunlight reflected off glass table

House is gutted by blaze after SUNLIGHT reflected off a glass table in the garden during Britain’s heatwave as firefighters warn people to keep mirrors and glass in the shade

  • Firefighters were called Knypersley in Stoke-on-Trent at 3.40pm on Monday
  • Although tenants were upstairs they fled the semi-detached house safely
  • Staffordshire fire warned people to keep mirrors and glass out of direct sunlight

Firefighters were called to tackle a house blaze which was sparked by sunlight reflecting from a glass table in the back garden during Britain’s heatwave.

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue have now issued a warning to keep mirrors and glass out of direct sunlight to prevent similar fires breaking out. 

Crews were called to the house in Knypersley in Stoke-on-Trent at around 3.40pm on Monday.

The occupants were upstairs but were able to safely flee the semi-detached property before the flames spread.

Firefighters rushed to the scene and used breathing apparatus and hose reel jets to bring the blaze under control.

This house in Knypersley in Stoke-on-Trent was gutted by a fire started when sunlight reflected off a glass table in the back garden

This house in Knypersley in Stoke-on-Trent was gutted by a fire started when sunlight reflected off a glass table in the back garden

A Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: ‘Crews from Newcastle and Kidsgrove attended and the detached property was well alight on arrival.

‘Some of the decking at the back of the house had to be cut away as crews extinguished the fire.

‘It was caused by sunlight reflecting on a glass table outside in the back garden. The occupier was upstairs by managed to get out of the house safely.

‘Please take care during this heatwave and be mindful of keeping reflective items, such as mirrors or glass, out of direct sunlight.’

The service also took to Twitter, posting an image of the damage and wrote: ‘Please be careful in this #heatwave. 

‘A house fire in Knypersley was caused by sunlight reflecting on a glass table outside. The occupier was upstairs but managed to get out of the house safely.’ 

Firefighters have issued a warning about keeping mirrors and other reflective items out of direct sunlight

Firefighters have issued a warning about keeping mirrors and other reflective items out of direct sunlight

Advertisement

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

News | Mail Online

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Powered by WP Robot

Scroll Up